Upgrading Ubuntu To 18.04.3 LTS

Last Saturday I updated my virtual server from 16.04 LTS to 18.04.3 LTS. The upgrade took about an hour. It wasn’t too painful. I tried to use the maintainer’s configuration defaults wherever. Mostly it worked but I found a few problems I had to fix. The biggest problems I encountered from the upgrade were:

  1. My web pages were showing the PHP scripts rather than executing the script. Enabling PHP 7.2 in Apache2 solved that problem.
  2. In PHP 7.2 mcrypt is deprecated so it broke one of my applications. Since I did not set up my application to use encryption, the solution was to disable encryption in the application configuration.
  3. Every night I send myself a PERL report. The report complained about a missing module. So I installed the missing module into PERL using CPAN.
  4. A WordPress plugin complained about cURL was not installed. I installed php-curl using apt.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.