I finally bit the bullet and decided to create a new theme for the new version of phpWebSite. Part of my problem with starting this project is that I think that WordPress might be a better solution for these web sites. One of the big advantages that WordPress is an abundance of good looking, standards compliant themes. It probably would not be that hard to migrate one of the old phpWebSite sites into WordPress. The other site has a couple of features that would require a lot more research so I opted to proceed with the theme redesign project.
In a previous post I talked about the “Blueprint: A CSS framework”. I would like the new theme to most like Misty Look. In a previous post I mentioned that I have used this for a charity blog in the past. For kicks I want try out the Copyblogger theme, too. I also want to add jQuery support so that I can use ThickBox. So here is my plan.
- Create a new theme which merges Blueprint into the default phpWebSite theme.
- Fix phpWebSite annoyances.
- I will create new module templates to replace the <h1> element with the more search engine friendly <h2>.
- See if I can create a list menu template of <li> links.
- Create a tabbed menu for the new site. I want to keep the tabbed menu design from the old site.
- Change the calendar colors and layout.
- Add zebra tables, drop shadow, and ThickBox support.
- Redesign comment template to be more like copyblogger.
- Evaluate Article 4.0 module.
At this point I have a workable replacement for the original site. Most of the stuff works but I am still checking it out. I have not made the changes to the comment template, the list menu template, or checked the new version of Article. I will probably be updating to the latest version(1.3.0) of phpWebSite on the demo site in the next couple of days. To view the results go to my demo site at http://demo1.wehuberconsultingllc.com/.
Now it is time for me to separate the specific theme data from the common theme data. I expect to create four theme variations and a theme to display a design grid.
- Default Blueprint
- Misty Look
- Copyblogger organic.
- Display grid
Convert the old data into the new phpWebSite format.