This is a neat way to keep my local copy of WordPress updated. I use the local version primarily to check theme changes and plugins.
- First I backed up my blog folder.
- Then I used TortoiseSVN to checkout a copy from
http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress/tags/2.2.1/to setup the blog folder with a clean version of WordPress.
- Then I copied the backup copy of my config data, plugins folder, and themes folder into this directory.
- Then I used the “Switch” command to update this version to the
- Finally I ran the upgrade.php file to make sure the database was updated.
This is a relatively painless way to make minor upgrades. Technically this should work for pretty major upgrades, too!